Friday, October 26, 2007

Eldar Ranger - Hood Modification

Greetings!

I have a certain affinity for Rangers in all kinds of fantasy games. My name, Arginal, was born from a ranger type and continued on throughout games.

As such, my Eldar army must contain a strong presence of rangers and pathfinders, but I was disheartened a little when I got my first box of rangers that two of them were un-hooded! What is that all about? 95% of all other eldar are wearing the Eldar style helm but 2 of 5 of these guys have some kind of scalped head with a long pony tail. It had to go! So with a few discussions with my cohort in crime with the miniatures I decided to mod the two odd balls. I thought a nice wide hood would give a nice impression, one of those large hoods that are attached and removed easily.

So here is my first mod ever in Warhammer! Please take note that I DO see some of the finger lines but I have to wait for it to dry completely before I go in with the light sandpaper.



Now if anyone is wondering how I got this done here are the steps I went through. It should be noted that I am NOT an expert or even proficient in this kind of modeling (yet), but I always feel that people sharing their methods helps everyone in the long run.

1) Read this website! The UK Site has a great turorial and demo of how to use GreenStuff Check it out here
2) Used a glad wrap bag as my working space. Added a bit of water as the above site mentions.
3) Cut a bit of the blue and yellow stuff and got to work mixing it. I kept my fingers moist whenever I felt things starting to stick.
4) Flattened the greenstuff on the plastic and smoothed it out best I could.
5) Carefully lined up the left shoulder with the edge of the green stuff.
6) Draped the greenstuff over the head and shaped the hood as I went long with small waves by pushing the greenstuff towards itself.
7) If there was a lot of excess greenstuff I would use my knife (with water on it!) and cut away the offending area(s)
8) Smooth the greenstuff into the model where I found it would normally lay
9) Sit back and admire the handy work!

1 comment:

Άτριχος said...

hey man really cool blog nice advices you helped me very much